Archive for September, 2008

Working on Quilts

September 22, 2008

The Christening went beautifully. Miss Elly only got upset a couple of times and got over it very quickly.  Our daughter had a get together afterward and Miss Elly was handled by more people than she had seen her whole life and handled it like a trooper. Here are a few pictures, first with her Christening outfit on and then with her after dress Granny Wolf bought for her.

I have been doing some quilting.  Most of the quilts I’ve done are ordered quilts that I’ve made before. This one is a new one and I have another on the frame which should be finished this afternoon.

Then hopefully, I can get caught up on the ones that have been sitting in waiting. I have a friends quilt to do borders on, my Mothers Harvest Spice quilt (which was for her Mothers day present….a little late I know), and then I have another quilt to make for my niece. My husband came home yesterday with an order from one of the guys at work for a queen size quilt from scratch with no real ideas for style or pattern, I have a lady in California wanting 4 baby quilts made and she’s not helping much on design. Then, I need to get started on Christmas. So…no time to waste. Oh, and did I mention I’m trying to quit smoking? So far, so good and it’s probably a good thing I’ve got a lot to keep me busy. And, in between the quilts, I’m learning to smock and have some outfits I want to get Miss Elly made between now and Christmas.

So that’s it for today. I need to get away from the computer before I reach for a cigarette….the computer could be my downfall.

Happy Quilting!


Miss Elly’s Christening Quilt

September 4, 2008

I finally got the quilt bound, the label made, and rewashed it. I’ve got it packed away waiting for our trip next weekend. So, here are pictures of the finished quilt. I’ve also included a picture of the label.

Happy Quilting!

The Christening Quilt

September 2, 2008

I decided on Saturday that I’d better get started on this quilt in case it didn’t work out I would have time to do something else. I had purchased silk for the quilt and since I’ve never worked with it, I was a little concerned. I had marked my pattern last week on freezer paper so all I needed to do was mark the quilt top.

Saturday afternoon, the only place I could find to mark the quilt was in the floor next to my machine. My DH and I taped the pattern to the floor and then the fabric. It took all afternoon to get the top marked and at times, I didn’t know if I would get if finished. It’s been a while (last summer when I put the laminate floor in)  since I’ve crawled around on the floor and I knew I was going to regret it. (I was right, I am pretty sore.)

I left the top on the floor so I could see what else I wanted to put on it and guess who decided to use it as a bed after our walk…..our cow dog. So, then not only did I have my markings on the top, but also some mud. Oh well, I decided I’d go ahead and quilt it and hope for the best.

When I put it on the frame, I was thinking I may have made a mistake getting the silk. I never thought it would be stretchy (is that a word?). But I decide to go ahead and if it didn’t work out, I had some cotton sateen I could use. I also left the pattern taped to the floor just in case but covered it with a towel and chairs so my black beauty (cat named BB) wouldn’t use it for shredding (he shreds everything paper). So, here are some pictures of the work in progress. I finished it yesterday and put it in the washer to get the blue marks out and hopefully the mud. I didn’t dry it, just laid it on the frame to dry just in case I need to work some more on the mud spots. If all is well, I’ll post pictures after getting it bound.

My curved crosshatching isn’t perfect, I ordered rulers but they didn’t arrive before I got started (will probably arrive today). I used Renae’s arcs but think now I need the smaller ones for work such as this. The ones I have worked okay and I also used the circle ruler for some. I’m finding that I do a lot better on my crosshatching getting it put on before I put the quilt on the frame. The next one I do will be premarked also. I had to be really careful not to stretch the quilt too much while proceeding through the quilt. I was afraid when I took it off it would wad up into a ball….that didn’t happen. I achieved my goal not to stretch.

I’m pleased with how it turned out and have a label planned for the back which will explain my reasoning for the design. I’ll post that also when done.

Thanks for looking at my first wholecloth for my darling new granddaughter, Miss Elly.

Happy quilting!